Thursday, July 02, 2015
7 Awesome Facts About Walt Disney World
1. Walt Disney's actual plane, that he used to scout the location for his Florida theme park, sits backstage at Hollywood Studios. At one point they offered Backlot Tours, but, today, it is no longer able to be seen with regular park access.
2. Has a Disney employee, such as Mickey Mouse himself, ever pointed at you? Have you ever seen him point? And, have you ever noticed that they didn't use the more typical 1 finger point? That's because all employees and members of Disney are required to use the Disney point (above).
3. There are a lot of precautions taken at Disney World. And, one of them is to protect the park visitors from Florida lightning. When you enter Hollywood Studios, and as you gaze up at Mickey Mouse standing atop the Crossroads of the World, take comfort in knowing that one of his ears is made of copper. That's because he's actually being utilized as a lightning rod.
4. The windows of Main Street USA are littered with all sorts of individual names, companies, and more. But, did you know that some of those names were not from real people? When Walt Disney started buying up land for his theme parks, he did so using fake names and entities. Why? Because he didn't want people to know it was him, and, thus, creating a real estate boom in the area. Still though, he bought his first acre for $80, and his last acre for $80,000. On the window pictured above is one of those fake companies, MT Lott Real Estate Investments. Try saying "MT Lott" fast. Does it sound a bit like "empty lot"?
5. It's such a delight to see your favorite characters at the Walt Disney World Resort. But, have you ever wondered why it doesn't happen more often, or, more importantly, why you've never seen two of the same character together? The answer is simple; it's never happened, and it never will. Disney runs strict schedules for their cast members, and all of them know exactly what park they should be in, and when it is time to leave. In fact, all the cast members carry around guides for all the parks. So, if you want to see Goofy at Epcot, just ask for help, and you'll know when and where to show up.
6. Here's a really cool fact, and, if you're staying at one of the many Disney resorts, you can take advantage of it. When you're at the parks and picking up Disney merchandise, simply ask them to deliver your purchase to your room. Now you won't have to carry it around for the rest of the day!
7. And, last and final, have you ever wondered why you have such great cell phone reception in the parks, yet there doesn't appear to be any towers or hills in the area? Have you also wondered why there are some freakishly tall trees around? That's because the two are actually related. That weird looking tree is a cell phone tower in disguise. The one pictured above is at Disney's Animal Kingdom.
That's all for now, but we'll get some more for you soon...